Gluten-free cooking class with The Rattlesnake Club
(WJBK) - Gluten free diets are increasingly common for people living with celiac disease or those who are choosing to avoid gluten for other dietary or health reason. Substitutions for favorite dishes, like pasta, are now available but many people still think that cooking gluten-free at home means relying on dishes like spiralized zucchini noodles.
The Rattlesnake Club in Detroit loves holding cooking classes and Chef Chris Franz's next class, Gluten-Free and Gourmet, being held on April 13, will teach attendees to prepare a fully gluten-free meal suitable for entertaining. Executive Chef Chris Franz will prepare Grilled Haloumi Cheese with Ouzo & Citrus Glazed Shrimp, one of the items on the menu, and three other courses.
He also joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to show us how to prepare the recipe. You can watch in the video player above, and get his recipe below.
If you're interested in attending the cooking class, the cost is $60 per person and tickets can be purchased at www.rattlesnakedetroit.com.
Grilled Haloumi Cheese with Ouzo & Citrus Glazed Shrimp
1/2 cup ouzo
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp in the shell or shelled
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb of Haloumi cheese sliced thick for grilling
1 bag of watercress, spinach and arugula salad
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cups sugar snap peas
4tbsp of low-fat Greek yogurt
2tbsp lemon juice
2tsp of chopped oregano
2tsp of chopped parsley
1. In a large, shallow dish, combine the ouzo, lemon juice and cayenne. Add the shrimp and toss to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours or for up to 2 hours.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add half of the shrimp and cook over high heat, stirring, until golden and just cooked, 2 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a platter sprinkle with parsley Repeat with the remaining oil and shrimp. Add remaining liquid from the marinate to pan and reduce for the glaze.
3. Preheat the grill to a high heat. Cut the halloumi cheese into 8 thin slices and grill until golden on both sides.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl mix together the spinach, watercress and arugula salad, cherry tomatoes and snap peas
5. For the dressing, mix together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, 1tbsp of water, chopped basil and parsley.
Add dressing to the salad, toss gently and place on plates topping each with grilled haloumi and some shrimp tossed with the glaze serve immediately.