Stuffed chicken involtini with Andiamo
(FOX 2) - Content sponsored and provided by Andiamo.
Andiamo Executive Chef Jim Oppat joins us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to show us a recipe sure to wow your dinner crowd. You can watch in the video player above as he prepares Involtini of Chicken, and get his recipe below.
To find an Andiamo location near you, visit andiamoitalia.com.
Involtini of Chicken
8 each Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
3/4 oz. Butter
4 oz. Shiitake mushrooms, minced
4 oz. White mushrooms, minced
2 Tablespoon Shallots, minced
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Dry sage leaves
1 teaspoon Thyme leaves
1 each Bay leaf
1 1/2 oz. Madeira wine
8 oz Spinach, baby leaves
1 cup Ricotta cheese
As needed Flour
As needed Eggwash
As needed Breadcrumbs, seasoned, finely ground
As needed Olive oil for sautéing
As needed Tomato sauce of choice
1. Lay out chicken breasts flat, mechanically tenderize and refrigerate for later use.
2. In a large skillet render the butter.
3. Add the mushrooms, shallots and garlic; cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the wine and the herbs; reduce until dry.
5. Add the baby spinach leaves and just wilt to remove the water, remove from the heat.
6. Discard bay leaf and let cool.
7. Place the mushroom mixture in center of chicken breast, layered with spinach.
8. Add a small amount of ricotta cheese to the center of the chickens.
9. Tightly roll up the chickens with the filling and allow to chill and form.
10. Once firm, prepare them for cooking by using the three step breading method: dust lightly with flour, coat evenly with eggwash mixture and then crust in seasoned breadcrumbs, covering every part of the exterior surface.
11. Heat a skillet with a small amount of olive oil and when it just begins to form a light haze, add the chicken and brown evenly on all sides.
12. Remove to an oven-proof dish and bake at 400 F until an internal temperature of 160 F, carry-over cooking to 165 F will be ensured.
13. Allow chicken to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving with your favorite tomato sauce, see chefs demonstration.