(WJBK) - These recipes come courtesy of nutritionist, professor and speaker Dr. Velonda Thompson. For more information, visit www.drvelonda.net.
Sweet Potatoes with Collard Greens and Adzuki Beans
2 tablespoons safflower oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 bunch collard greens, trimmed and chopped
½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size cubes
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup steamed adzuki beans (or 1-15 ounce can no-salt-added adzuki beans, rinsed and drained)
Ground black pepper
1 teaspoon agave nectar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat, add garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add greens, stirring to coat thoroughly
- Add water, simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add broth, sweet potatoes and cinnamon to skillet
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and greens are tender.
- Fold in adzuki beans
- Season with pepper to taste
- Combine agave nectar & lemon juice, add to potatoes & green, stir & serve.
Adapted from Beyond Candied Yams & Sweet Potato Pie by Velonda Thompson, PhD (Page 26)
Sweet Potato Latkes
1 large Yukon gold potato, grated
1 medium sweet potato, grated
1/2 medium yellow onion, grated
2 tablespoons oat flour
1 teaspoon Celtic salt
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 tablespoon prepared Ener-g
Vegan sour cream: Soak raw cashews in boiling water. Puree nuts with lemon juice, sea salt and cider vinegar
Sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- Combine potatoes and onions
- Put potato mixture in a clean dish towel and wring out excess liquid.
- Add flour, salt and cayenne to the latke mixture with the flour, salt, and cayenne.
- Stir in prepared ener-g.
- Heat a 1/4-inch oil in a large cast iron or other heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, spoon about 1/4 cup of the latke mixture into the skillet, pressing lightly to form 3-inch pancakes. Cook, turning once, until just golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve the latkes topped with a small dollop of sour cream and horseradish.
- Garnish with a parsley leaf. Serve immediately