Crash on I-94 involving Macomb County sheriff's deputy linked to chase

Westbound I-94 has reopened at 12 Mile Road after an early morning crash involving a Macomb County sheriff deputy's patrol car. 

Macomb County officials confirm the crash was related to a high speed chase that went through Macomb County earlier Tuesday morning

SkyFOX was over the scene and at least one other vehicle was also involved. Both cars went up on the embankment, and the patrol car ended in the backyard of a house along the interstate. Sterling Heights police confirmed no one was hurt. 

Police say one person was taken into custody at the scene of the accident.

According to a press release from the Sterling Heights Police Department, they were called to the area of Hall Rd and M-53 to gunshots involving two cars: a Dodge Durango and Ford Fusion. When Sterling Heights officers arrived, they found the Durango and tried to stop the SUV, only to realize it was also chasing the Fusion.

The Durango driver pulled over on a side street and police kept chasing the Fusion. At some point, a suspect in the Fusion got out and ran on foot.

Sterling Heights officers chased him while the Fusion kept going. The suspect then circled back around and was able to get into the Sterling Heights patrol vehicle that was left running. He then fled the scene in the stolen cop car.

Officers then chased the patrol vehicle and it ended at I-94 and 12 Mile where he collided with a Macomb County Sheriff car. That suspect was taken into custody and nobody was hurt.

Meanwhile, Warren Police had picked up the Fusion south on Van Dyke heading into Detroit. The suspect weaved in and out of traffic and was almost hit several times. 

Eventually the driver stopped on Linden Drive in Detroit and two people got out of the car and ran in separate directions. SkyFOX was over the scene and saw as police caught up to one of the suspects on foot and took him into custody.

A second suspect is still on the run.

Authorities say all of this stemmed from an incident in Utica but did not release further information.