Deadly mobile house fire in Imlay City not caused by 'alternate heating source': police

Image 1 of 7

Investigators have more information about what may have caused a devastating fire at a mobile home in Imlay City earlier this week.

Four of the family's five children were killed. All kids were under the age of 6. 

Investigators still can't say for sure what caused the fire, but said they now believe the fire started in the living room - and wasn't caused by an alternate heating source. Authorities had earlier speculated that the fire was caused by a faulty furnace or alternate heat source, such as a space heater. 

"The theory that the fire may have been the result of a faulty furnace or alternate heat source or space heater has proven to be incorrect," Imlay City Police Chief Scott Pike said in a press release.  

Pike added that the furnace was likely on and in proper working condition. 

"The cause of the fire (if able to be determined) will depend on additional investigation and interviews," Pike said. 

The fire broke out Monday around 3 a.m. at their home in the 2000 block of S. Almont Avenue, which is about 45 miles north of Detroit. When firefighters got to the house the mother was outside screaming for help. Everyone else was still inside. 

Firefighters were able to get the father and the five children out. Three children were pronounced dead, and a fourth - a newborn girl - died the next day at the hospital. 

Right now the mother and father are hospitalized in stable and critical condition, respectively. Their surviving 18-month-old son has been transferred to Children's Hospital for treatment. 

If you'd like to make a donation to the family, you can do so via their GoFundMe account here