Fire rips through historic South Lyon Hotel
SOUTH LYON, Mich. (WJBK) - A fire ripped through the historic South Lyon Hotel early Thursday morning. The fire was contained to most of the second floor, though the building will likely be a total loss.
The building has been in the community for nearly 150 years. People are waking up to be shocked and saddened by the news.
"As soon as I saw it, you want to start crying. I totally started to tear up because this has been here forever. The people who owned it, South Lyon community - we're such a tight knit community, so to see something happen like this you can see all these people around. This means something to us," says Jennifer Lucas. She lives nearby.
Employees in the building say they spotted the fire around 2 a.m. Thursday as they were cleaning up to go home for the night.
"I ran to the steps and looked up and the top of the staircase was engulfed in flames," says employee Matt Lefebvre. "I instantly called down, 'Call 911 the building's on fire!' and then get the staff that I had in there out, you know. Get everybody out safe."
When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out the roof. Firefighters were still on scene as of 7 a.m. putting out hot spots at the hotel. Many roads in the area are also still closed as crews are still on scene.
No word on a cause of fire yet. No injuries have been reported.
The hotel's website says the building was constructed in 1867 on a site that was formerly a cemetery. It is now a popular restaurant. It's located on Lafayette Street and 10 Mile Road, just north of Whipple Street.