Gunshots, stolen police car, and high speed chase through Macomb County into Detroit

Image 1 of 2

A high speed police chase through Macomb County ended Tuesday morning in a Detroit neighborhood. Two people have since been taken into custody. 

Sterling Heights police also say the chase is connected to a crash on I-94 that involved a Macomb County sheriff deputy's patrol car.

The pursuit began at Hall and Van Dyke roads in Sterling Heights around 7:15 a.m. and lasted more than 15 minutes.

"This is all unfolding and it's all happening within minutes and extremely dangerous for everyone involved," said Lt. Mario Bastianelli with Sterling Heights Police.

According to a press release from the Sterling Heights Police Department, they were called to the area of Hall Road and M-53 to gunshots involving two cars: a Dodge Durango and Ford Fusion. When Sterling Heights officers arrived, they found the Durango and tried to stop the SUV, only to realize it was also chasing the Fusion.

The Durango driver pulled over on a side street and police kept chasing the Fusion. At some point, a suspect in the Fusion got out and ran on foot.

Sterling Heights officers chased him while the Fusion kept going. The suspect then circled back around and was able to get into the Sterling Heights patrol vehicle that was left running. He then fled the scene in the stolen cop car.

Officers then chased the patrol vehiclem as the driver in the stolen squad car started talking over dispatch to police, asking them where the nearest hospital was, while admitting he was the one they were chasing and telling them the driver of the Durango had been firing shots and he have been hit. It ended at I-94 and 12 Mile where he collided with a Macomb County Sheriff car. That suspect was taken into custody and nobody was hurt.

Meanwhile, Warren Police had picked up the Fusion south on Van Dyke heading into Detroit. The suspect weaved in and out of traffic and was almost hit several times. 

Eventually the driver stopped on Linden Drive in Detroit and two people got out of the car and ran in separate directions. SkyFOX was over the scene and saw as police caught up to one of the suspects on foot and took him into custody. A second suspect is still on the run.

Authorities say all of this stemmed from an incident in Utica but did not release further information.

You can rewatch the livestream of the chase below or on our Facebook page here.