Ice rink shooting in Rhode Island: ‘Family dispute’; 3 dead, 3 hurt
Police update after deadly shooting in Rhode Island
We are getting an update from police on the scene after a shooting in Rhode Island leaves three dead, including the suspect. Rhode Island Governor Dan McKee and the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco and Explosives in Boston posted on social media about the shooting, but provided minimal details at the time. Footage from the near the incident appears to show multiple emergency vehicles outside the scene, including police and ambulances. Local law enforcement or other state officials are actively giving updates on the shooting, with information about the shooter not yet known.
Three people are dead and three others are hurt after a shooting at an ice rink Monday afternoon in Rhode Island.
What we know:
Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves said during a press conference that three people were killed, and three others were hospitalized with injuries. One of the deceased included the suspected shooter.
She said one person and the suspect were dead when police arrived, and that a third victim died shortly after at the hospital.
Goncalves also said the shooting appeared to be a targeted event and that it may have been a "family dispute." She did not release further details at this time and couldn’t confirm the relationship of those involved.
What we don't know:
Law enforcement officials haven’t yet given the names of those who were killed or injured in the shooting. Details of the suspected family dispute were also not yet released.
Dig deeper:
A high school senior night hockey game had been scheduled during the time of the shooting, which was reported just before 2:30 p.m. local time.
"You’re thinking about, these are high school kids that were doing what, an event they were playing, with their families watching. Fun time. And it turned into this, so it’s got to be traumatic," Mayor Donald R. Grebien said.
Goncalves said police were aware a livestream may have been ongoing to view the hockey game and were investigating.
What's next:
Goncalves said law enforcement officials needed to speak with everyone who was inside the arena, and that "many people" were inside, so this will take time.
More information was expected to be released later Monday evening or early Tuesday.
The Source: Information in this article was taken from a Pawtucket Police press conference on Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. This story was reported from Detroit.