John Skelton prelim starts Monday: What to know 15 years after sons’ disappearance

Published August 21, 2026 3:01 PM EDT

A preliminary hearing for John Skelton, the father of three young boys who disappeared in Morenci, Mich. around Thanksgiving in 2010, begins Monday. 

The brothers disappeared in Morenci, a small town near the Ohio border about 100 miles southwest of Detroit, and the unsolved case has unsettled the community for more than 15 years. 

Here’s what to know before the hearing begins: 

Missing Skelton brothers

Big picture view:

John Skelton’s three sons disappeared while with their father during Thanksgiving in 2010. The boys’ ages at the time were: 

  • Andrew, 9
  • Alexander, 7 
  • Tanner, 5 

Dig deeper:

Since their disappearance that holiday, the case has remained unsolved. 

The boys have never been found, despite searches in Michigan and Ohio and tips from across the country.

In March of 2025, a judge declared the three brothers dead at the request of their mother, Tanya Zuvers. 

READ MORE: Missing Skelton brothers declared dead by Michigan judge

John Skelton previous case

Big picture view:

Skelton has already been sentenced to 15 years for his failure to return the boys to Zuvers the day after Thanksgiving in 2010 – the only conviction in the case so far. 

The same month he was due to be released, he was charged with

The backstory:

Police said Skelton fed them a long string of lies about the boys’ whereabouts, sending investigators to an old schoolhouse in Kunkle, Ohio, and a dumpster in Holiday City, Ohio. 

Police said claims that the boys were handed to other people for their safety also turned out to be false.

Dig deeper:

Zuvers was supposed to pick the boys up from Skelton, her ex-husband, the day after Thanksgiving. 

However, she stopped hearing from him, so she went to his house. He wasn't home because he was at a hospital after he broke his ankle. According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, he told hospital workers that he injured his ankle while trying to kill himself.

Police were able to get into his home, which they said was destroyed and the boys weren't there.

Skelton was accused of changing the story of where they were while he was at the hospital. He said they were with friends before telling investigators that the boys were given to an unknown woman. He also told police that he gave them to an underground group that would keep them safe.

John Skelton charged with murder

What’s new:

Last November, Skelton was charged with murdering each of his three sons. The charges he’s facing include

  • Three counts of murder 
  • Three counts of tampering with criminal evidence 

READ MORE: John Skelton, father of missing Skelton brothers, charged with murder

The backstory:

Many investigators had said and testified they believed Skelton was responsible for the boys’ disappearance, but charges relating to their death had yet to happen. 

What they're saying:

According to Zuvers, Skelton previously "claimed that the boys would hibernate until they graduate." All three boys would be old enough now that they would have graduated from high school.

What's next:

Skelton’s preliminary hearing begins Monday, Aug. 24, 2026 in Lenawee County. 

This court proceeding, which is expected to last several days, will determine if the charges can move forward. 

FOX 2 will provide coverage of the hearing. 

The Source: Information in this article was taken from previous FOX 2 Detroit reporting, the National Center for Missing and The Associated Press.

Missing PersonsAround Michigan