(FOX 2) - Ackroyd's Scottish Bakery and Urbanrest Brewing, have paired up for their second annual Burns Night dinner and celebration on Friday, Jan. 25.
The event features classic Scottish foods, including haggis and Scotch eggs, alongside new creations from Ackroyd's like their Pork & Stilton Sausage Roll. Urbanrest will be featuring a variety of Scottish-inspired ales.
Megan Ackroyd and Zach Typinsky from Urbanrest joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to tell us more about the event. You can hear from them in the video player above, and get their Scotch egg recipe below.
The event starts at 4 p.m. at Urbanrest in Ferndale. There will also be bagpipers and highland dancers.
Scotch Egg Recipe
1 pound bulk breakfast sausage (or your favorite bulk sausage)
4 soft boiled eggs (Refer to Serious Eats)
1 cup Corn Flakes (crushed)
2 additional eggs for dipping
Oil for frying
1. Boil 4 eggs to soft yolk consistency (About 6-7 minutes)
2. Remove eggs from water and place into ice bath for at least 15 minutes (longer if possible)
3. While eggs are cooling, portion sausage into four 1/4 pound patties
4. In deep frying pan or deep fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees
5. Peel eggs
6. Take an egg and carefully wrap the egg with sausage making sure the entire surface of the egg is covered
7. Beat 2 eggs in a separate bowl
8. Dip sausage wrapped egg in egg the roll it in crushed corn flakes
9. Place in oil for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown
10. Remove from oil, let cool briefly, and serve with your favorite mustard and cold pint of beer (from Urbanrest Brewing, of course)