(WJBK) - Only a few weeks of summer are left before the kids head back to school.
Award-winning children's author Maria Dismondy joined us on The Nine to give us some ideas of how we can help the kids mentally prepare for the daily grind.
1. Read books that give examples of growth mindset
2. Mistakes help us GROW-model this to your children
3. Be mindful of areas that promote a fixed mindset (tv, books, music)
4. Help children change their inner dialogue
Maria's recommended the following books that teach growth mindset:
- Stand Tall, Molly Lour Melon by Patty Lovell
- You Be You by Linda Kranz
- The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires
- Almost by Richard Torrey
- The Little Linebacker by Stephen Tulloch and Maria Dismondy
- What Do You Do With an Idea? by Kobi Yamada
- Beautiful Oops by Barney Saltzberg
Maria also recommended a few snacks that help fuel the brain:
- No Bake Energy Balls
- Ham & Cheese Bites
- Nutella & Banana Sushi
- Fresh Veggies
- Air popped popcorn
- Protein snack "The sky's the limit"
- Meat sticks
- Greek Yogurt & Fruit
For more information on Maria and her books, visit www.mariadismondy.com.