It's hot out there and there's no better way to cool off this Independence Day than with a few patriotic and refreshing cocktails. Bruce Carroll, of the Michigan-based Rebel Spirits Group, stopped by the Fox2 Kitchen Thursday morning to showcase some of his favorite refreshing recipes.
Watch the video above and follow the recipes here.
- 1 Cup Vodka
- 2 heaping cups watermelon chunks
- ½ cup of the watermelon juice from cutting the melon
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 ½ ounces Simple syrup
- Watermelon balls or triangles and lime segments for garnish
1. Place watermelon chunks and watermelon juice in your blender, give it a whirl until it is pureed.
2. Add in lime juice and simple syrup and pulse until combined.
3. Add in 1 cup Vodka and pulse until combined.
4. Fill tall glasses with ice, pour mixture over-top.
5. Garnish with watermelon balls and lime. Serve. *If you like a little fizz in your cocktail, add in a splash or two of club soda or lemon-lime soda
BLACK & BLUE
- 1.5 ounces Vodka
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed Lime Juice (fresh REALLY makes the difference!)
- 1 ounce *Simple Syrup (see below how to make Simple Syrup)
- 4 Blackberries
- 6 Blueberries
- Dash of Mint
- Splash of Soda Water
- Muddle the blackberries, blueberries, mint, lime juice and simple syrup in a mixing glass or shaker.
- Add the vodka.
- Top with crushed ice.
- Add a splash of soda water and stir.
- Serve in a Collins glass.
- Garnish with a skewer of berries.
*How to make Simple Syrup: ½ cup water, ½ cup sugar. Combine water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat; stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool.
Coco Chanel Cocktail
- 1.5 ounces Vodka (just 89 calories when using ZIM'S 59 proof Vodka)
- 2 ounces Coconut Water
- 1.5 ounces Pineapple Juice
- Pineapple Slice for Garnish
- Shake & Strain
Black Cherry Cosmo
- 1 oz Vodka
- .5 oz REAL Black Cherry Puree
- 3 oz Cranberry Juice
- .5 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- Shake & Strain