(FOX 2) - Heart disease is America's number one killer. Eating the right foods can play a big role in having a healthy heart.
Deanna Dahlinger and Neal Diebold from Ascension Hospital joined us in the FOX 2 Cooking School to show us a heart healthy recipe.
You can watch in the video player above as they prepare a salmon salad with blueberry balsamic vinaigrette, and get the recipe below.
1 quart of extra virgin olive oil
4 (6oz.) filets of Salmon
3 cloves of smashed garlic
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
½ lemon peeled
1. Wrap your garlic, bay leaves, thyme and lemon in cheese cloth and tie off with butchers twine. Next add oil to a straight sided saute pan and bring oil to a simmer. Place your wrapped seasoning in the oil.
2. Bring your salmon to room temp and season with a little bit of kosher salt. With a spatula slowly lay your salmon into the pan. Cook for about 15-17 minutes.
3. Next turn off stove and with a clean spatula gently remove the salmon from the pan for plating.
Shaved Vegetable salad with a Balsamic Blueberry Dressing
1 cup of fresh blueberries
¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. of Monk Fruit powder or 2 Tbsp. of honey
1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
½ olive oil
½ bunch fresh asparagus (shaved)
½ bunch carrots (shaved)
1 apple (shaved)
2 radish (shaved)
1 lb. of baby spinach
Orange segments for garnish
1. Start with blending blueberries, monk fruit powder and balsamic in a blender. Next add your lemon juice and continue to blend. While blending slowly incorporate your oil till the dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl lightly toss your shaved vegetables, spinach and fruit in the dressing. On your favorite plates lay your salad on them and then top with your poached salmon. Garnish with orange segments and a little of the dressing on top of the fish.