March is National Sauce Month, and before we transition into April, we invited the experts at the Detroit Wing Company to show it's done when it comes to delicious food with decadent sauces to dip it in.
Chef and owner Gus Malliaras stopped by the Fox2 Kitchen Saturday morning to share some of his favorite sauce recipes in preparation of Tigers opening day.
Detroit Wing Company Buffalo Sauce
- 9 sticks of unsalted butter
- 8 cups hot sauce. (Franks is traditional, but use whatever you love)
- 1-1/2 cups tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- Melt butter in a medium sized sauce pot.
- Add minced garlic, sauté for just a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk these ingredients together until combined.
- Remove from heat and add the hot sauce.
- Whisk until sauce is smooth. If you have an immersion blender, use it!
- Tomato paste is added to give the sauce some body. Increase/reduce amount to achieve your desired consistency.
- Allowing the butter to brown slightly in step one adds a deeper, nutty flavor.
- Increase/decrease cayenne pepper to adjust heat. Standard recipe is for medium-hot.
Watch the video above, follow the recipe and click here for more information.