(WJBK) - These recipes come courtesy of Executive Chef Fran Turner from the Grosse Pointe War Memorial in Grosse Pointe Farms. You can find his recipes for Butternut and Apple Bisque, and Grilled Shiitake and Asparagus Salad below.
For more information on the Grosse Pointe War Memorial, visit www.warmemorial.org.
BUTTERNUT AND APPLE BISQUE
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
½ cup Leek White (washed and diced)
3 cup Tart sweet apple (Brayburn or Pippin)
1 cup Potato (Peeled and medium dice)
3 cup Butternut Squash (peeled, seeded and diced)
½ cup Dry Sherry (drinking Sherry, not cooking Sherry)
4 cup Vegetable or Chicken stock
4 ounces Blue cheese (Maytag Blue works well)
10 ounce Heavy cream
6 ounce Fresh Orange juice
1 Tablespoon fresh grated nutmeg
2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Michigan Honey
1 ½ Tablespoon High Quality Curry Powder (lightly toasted)
1. In a thick gauge sauce pan add the oil, butternut and potatoes over medium low heat cook until soft but not brown
2. Add the Apples, leeks and curry and cook until they just begin to soften.
3. Add the wine and 2 cups of the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minuets. Add the cream and season with salt, pepper, orange juice, honey, nutmeg, and blue cheese.
4. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and purée (in batches if necessary) adding more stock if desired for a thinner consistency.
5. Return soup to heat but be careful not to boil as it will tend to curdle.
6. Garnish soup with a small amount of Almond or walnut Gremolata
Yields eight 8 oz. servings
GRILLED SHIITAKE & ASPARAGUS SALAD
For the Dressing
½ cup Fresh Lemon Juice
½ cup Fresh Orange Juice
2 Tlb Low Sodium Soy Sauce
4 Tlb Extra Virgin olive Oil
1 Tlb Dijon Mustard
Mix all ingredients thoroughly
Yield 1 cup dressing
For the Salad
1 oz. (Stem removed) Shiitake Mushrooms
1 oz. Asparagus
1 oz. Heart of Palm
½ oz. Arugula
2 Tlb. Marcona Almonds
½ oz. Manchego cheese
2 Tlb. Low Sodium Citrus Vinaigrette (above dressing)
1. Lightly brush Asparagus, Shiitakes and Hearts of palm and grill for 1 to 2 minuets
2. Toss with all remaining ingredients while still very hot to allow for a little wilting of the arugula and serve
Yield serves one