Elwin Greenwald, of Elwin & Co. in Berkley, visited the Fox2 Studios Sunday morning to showcase some of his favorite summer desserts and share a special recipe.
- 2 C Superfine granulated white sugar (divided)
- ¼ TSP Salt
- 1 C Cake flour
- 12 Egg whites at room temperature
- 1 TSP Pure vanilla extract
- Zest from either 1 orange or 1 lemon
- ½ C Warm water
- 1 ½ TSP Cream of tartar
- In a mixing bowl combine the warm water, egg whites, half of the sugar, vanilla, orange/lemon zest and cream of tartar.
- Whisk together slowly just to break up the egg whites. Gradually beat in the sugar and continue whisking until medium peaks are formed and egg whites are smooth and shiny. About 3 - 4 minutes. Do not over whip!
- Sift the remaining sugar, flour and salt together. Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture over the top of the egg whites. Using the spatula gently fold in about half way then add another 1/3 of the flour mixture, repeating the same process. Add the remainder of the flour mixture and fold gently until completely combined and no lumps remain.
- Using the spatula or large spoon fill the UNGREASED cake pan even with the top. Tap the pan on the counter gently to remove any air bubbles and place in a preheated 350 oven for about 30 minutes. Bake until the cake is puffy, golden and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Test by inserting the skewer into the pan halfway between the edge and middle - cake is done when the skewer is dry when removed from the cake.
- Invert onto a cooling rack top side up. Let the cake cool about 15 minutes before removing and placing on a decorative cake stand.
- Serve the Angel Food Cake with fresh Michigan berries, sprigs of mint and lightly sweetened whipped cream.