Relatives rushed to help before being shot dead during standoff

A couple's argument is believed to be what led to a deadly 14-hour standoff with Detroit police earlier this week. Three women were shot and killed -- including the suspect's girlfriend, and two family members who were there to help. Three police officers were also shot and injured by the suspect. 

Sources say 49-year-old Lance Smith, who has no criminal history, got into an argument with his live-in girlfriend, Cynthia Williams.

Police say relatives of hers, who lived across the street, ran over to help after the officers had been shot. The victims were all beloved by their family and community. 

They are 71-year-old Barbara Williams; 51-year-old Cynthia Williams; and 62-year-old Patricia Wilson. 

Barbara was a grandmother of 14, and a great-grandmother of another 14. Cynthia was also a grandmother. Patricia was the wife of one of the Detroit police officers who was shot in the leg during the standoff. 

"The suspect fired an unknown number of rounds and basically attacked first the civilian victims," said Chief James Craig. "And then begun firing on the off-duty DPS officer and responding DPD 11th precinct officers."

3 killed, 3 police officers shot before barricaded gunman kills self

The 14-hour long standoff finally ended when authorities used a robot to get a look inside the home, and discovered the bodies of Smith and his girlfriend. Smith is said to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. 

His family only told police that sometimes he'd act peculiar never expected a situation like this. Neighbors and friends were left stunned.

"You lose three family members in one day, it's unheard of," said neighbor Michael Brown.

Meanwhile, the family released the following statement:

"Each of these women loved taking care of their family and community. The loss of these treasures is heartbreaking and even more unimaginable knowing they died tragically in a senseless and savage trilogy of murder."

Funeral arrangements are pending.