(WJBK) - In recent weeks, social media post have threatened schools in Metro Detroit as well as over thirty school districts since the Florida high school massacre.
In a 24 hour period last week there were more than 20 threats made against Detroit schools,
A recent post on social media has threatening messages against Hazel Park schools forcing them to close their doors Friday. The threat was deemed not credible so the school will be back open Monday.
"It has created quite a stir both for our students, our community, and for our parents," Supt Amy Kruppe of Hazel Park Schools said.
Prosecutors and school leaders want the kids who are making threats to get the message that there are consequences for their actions.
"This needs to stop for all school districts," Kruppe said.
The cost of closing a school could be passed on to the family of the person who makes the threat.
"We're looking for the expenditure by the police department, by the community school, what we're really looking for is a way to reimburse the tax payer for a threat that is communicated through the school district," Paul Walton said, chief assistant prosecutor of Oakland County.
Many of the teens who were caught were sentenced to 20 year felonies, but even that has not kept children from continuing to make threats.
"I think part of it is the issue with parenting, we go out to area schools to talk first with the students then to the parents. The parents don't seem to often times want to attend i guess with the feeling that it's not going to be my son or daughter until the police show up to their door with search warrants and they start arresting their son or daughter," Walton said.
"They have caused severe harm to families who have lost finances, students activities have been cancelled, there's severe anxiety, it's really not funny," Kruppe said.
The question many parents, school leaders, and others want to know is when will this all stop?
"I think when they start seeing the consequences of their actions," Walton said.