This recipe comes courtesy of Chef Paul Penney. Enjiy a healthy and well-balanced meal with the steps below!
Grain Bowl with Grilled Veggies
Rice, quinoa, or any other whole grain such as millet, kamut, faro or amaranth
In-season vegetables such as zucchinis, peppers, squashes, eggplants, tomatoes, radishes and carrots
Soft-leaf vegetables like baby kale or spinach
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3-4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime, lemon or orange juice
1 tablespoon of Dijon
Fresh chopped parsley, cilantro or other dry herbs
Salt and pepper
Garlic or lemon grass
A wide bowl or deep plate to assemble the dish
1. After preparing your whole grain, start by grilling the vegetables. Brush with a little oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Add dried herbs for additional flavor.
2. Begin assembling the bowl by placing grain in the bottom of a wide bowl or deep plate. Add a layer of soft-leaf greens and place the grilled vegetables on top. Use chopped tomatoes and radishes to add some color.
3. To prepare the vinaigrette, add 2 tablespoons of light olive oil and 3-4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime, lemon or orange juice into a small container with a lid. Add fresh chopped parsley, cilantro or other dry herbs, and finish off with salt and pepper.
4. Add some garlic, lemon grass or other aromatics in with the liquid dressing ingredients.
5. Add one tablespoon of Dijon to help emulsify the dressing and keep the oil and juice from separating.
6. Mix the dressing and pour over the grain bowl.