There's never a shortage of interesting and great tasting food coming out of the Schoolcraft College Culinary School.
Fox2 recently visited the school and picked up some cooking tips from Chef Kelli Lewton Secondino, of 2 Unique Caterers & Event Planners.
She shared the recipe for one of her favorite meals, Crème Brule Waffle.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, split ad scraped
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon orange rind (fine grated/microplane)
- Pre heat oven to 300˚.
- Place cream, milk, brown sugar and vanilla bean and scrapings in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer then turn the heat off and let steep for 15 minutes. Strain.
- While the vanilla bean steeps, whisk together the yolks, corn starch and the sugar.
- Using a wooden or hi-heat plastic spoon, temper the yolks with the warm cream then combine everything together and pour into a 2” deep ½ oblong baking dish or Pyrex. Place in a larger pan with hot water and place in the oven.
- Cover with a sheet pan and cook let bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove and chill for at least 6 hours.
- Spread 3-4 tablespoons of the crème brule mixture evenly over the top of waffle the waffle, then liberally sprinkle over the crème brule mixture with sugar and then carefully caramelize with a kitchen butane (or standard propane) torch.
- Garnish with raspberry or berry of your choice.
Check out what else Chef Kelli has to offer on her website.