Cooking with Schoolcraft: Mint watermelon lemonade
(WJBK) - Schoolcraft Culinary School has a little something for everyone. While students get a great education in the art of cooking, the rest of us can enjoy their works of gourmet food at a fraction of what it would cost you at a restaurant.
Our friend and culinary instructor Chef Kelli Lewton shows us Schoolcraft's Main Street Cafe, which is in the VisTaTech Center on the main campus in Livonia. The product from the classrooms comes out to the cafe, and the customers get the high-quality food at a great rate. You can get more information on the cafe at their website here.
Chef Kelli Lewton joins us to tell us more about the cafe, and to show us how to make on of their most popular items -- mint watermelon lemonade. You can find that recipe below.
MINT WATERMELON LEMONADE
1 1/4 cups water
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
Handful of fresh mint leaves
2 cups fresh watermelon juice
2 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 quarts + 2 cups water
1. Heat the 1 1/4 cups of water with the sugar in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
2. Stir in the mint leaves and allow the syrup to sit at least 20 minutes.
3. Strain off the mint leaves and then add in remaining ingredients.
4. Taste, you may have to add more syrup depending upon the sweetness of the watermelon.
5. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and sliced watermelon.
You can try these other lemonade recipes, too!