30 bullet casings found where DPD officer was shot

A Detroit police officer is fighting for his life after being shot twice outside a home on the city's east side late Wednesday night. 

Police were called to the 5500 block of McDougall right around 10:40 p.m. for reports of a couple arguing and also possible shots fired. When they arrived, we are told they were met by a 43-year-old suspect with a gun who unloaded on them before they even got out of their patrol car.

The suspect, who police say had nine guns registered to him, then barricaded himself inside the home. Outside, investigators later counted more than 30 bullet casings.

The injured officer, who has since been identified as Officer Glenn Doss, was driven to Detroit Receiving Hospital by his own partner where he underwent surgery for a gunshot wound to the head. He's still in critical condition, and we're told there are some issues with brain swelling. 

Doss is 25 years old, and we're told he's been with the force for nearly two years. He has a 9-month-old child, and his father is also a Detroit police officer who was off duty at the time.

Police say no one else was inside the home with the suspect when he barricaded himself inside. His wife and children were able to get out safely. 

"The suspect did not have a phone to communicate with, so SWAT team members did verbally talk with him over a loud speaker. Conversations were going back and forth; there was a period in time where he stated he was going to come out. The suspect also threatened suicide by cop," says DPD Deputy Chief Elvin Barren.

The 43-year-old eventually did come out around 2:30 a.m. after negotiators lost touch with him and fired gas into the home. He tried to run away, but couldn't get past the perimeter securing the area.

"He never in his life did anything violent. "He's never been to jail; he don't have any kind of record. He's married; he's got five children. He lives with his wife and children," says the suspect's mother, Ruth Brooks. "He's been stressed out because he lost his job and a lot of things been going on right now. He's never acted like this before. This is the first time this has ever happened."

The suspect, who has not yet been named, was taken into custody. 

This is a developing story. Stay with FOX 2 for updates.