Barricaded gunman surrenders after 12 hour standoff in Detroit
UPDATE (5:30 p.m.): The barricaded gunman has surrendered to Detroit police and is in custody ending a 12-hour standoff.
According to FOX 2's Taryn Asher, the resident is a 54-year-old man, who is facing multiple charges, including felonious assault for firing at police officers.
Earlier on Wednesday police and members of SWAT remain in a Northwest Detroit neighborhood several hours after the man became hostile with his family and then barricaded himself inside.
Officers were called to the home in the 15 thousand block of Sorrento Avenue just after 5:30 a.m. Wednesday. Family members were able to escape safely from the home, and told officers a 54-year-old man is still inside with weapons.
The man was refusing to surrender and the family said he has a mental condition.
"He's in some troubles with state of mind," Commander Elvin Barrensaid. "(We're) trying to get him admitted to hospital to deal with bizarre behavior at which time he got upset and caused situation to occur."
Police spent several hours trying to negotiate with the man and lure him outside using a loud speaker. Detroit Police Chief James Craig even stopped by to help in those negotiations along with help from family members.
"The negotiations range from introducing the voice of (his) daughter, granddaughter. I had chance to plea with subject to come out." Craig said.
As time continues to pass, the man has only gotten more aggressive and one point he even fired a shot one of the teams. Detroit police responded by using chemicals and even having DTE cut power to the home.
Detroit Police remain on scene with assistance from Michigan State Police and Wayne County Sheriff.
FOX 2 will continue to update this story with more information as it comes in to our newsroom.