DETROIT (WJBK) - A case of viral meningitis was reported at Detroit Cass Tech High School Tuesday.
In a letter sent home to parents, Principal Lisa Phillips said that the Detroit Health Department is working with the school "in response to the situation."
"We are evaluating the situation to determine any risk to other students and you will be contacted if preventative measures are deemed necessary for your child," Phillips said in the letter. "Generally no treatment is necessary for contacts of individuals with viral meningitis."
Viral meningitis is rarely serious and usually causes fewer long lasting problems than the bacterial form of meningitis. Symptoms include sudden fever, headache, stiff neck, vomiting, rash or confusion. The disease is spread through contact with an infected person’s oral or nasal secretions like saliva and mucous.
For more information, go to cdc.gov/meningitis/viral.