Detroit 8-year-old died from fentanyl overdose at July party

Image 1 of 2

The Wayne County Medical Examiner says they've determined that an 8-year-old boy who was thought to have died from drinking an alcoholic drink, died from an overdose of fentanyl.

According to the Wayne County Medical Examiner, Jamere Arnold died in July due to fentanyl toxicity. His death has been ruled an accident.

Arnold's family told police and FOX 2 that they believed the child had some kind of alcoholic drink during a party. He was rushed to the hospital but later died. 

Detroit police say the 8-year-old had been visiting his grandmother's home on Conley Street on July 5th. His mother and father were not at the home. According to sources, his grandmother said she saw Jamere drinking some sort of alcoholic concoction a family friend made.

Around 2 a.m., she found the young boy foaming at the mouth and called 911.

Family shaken after 8-year-old's suspected alcohol poisoning death

Police say as rescue crews arrived early Thursday morning they desperately tried to resuscitate the little boy. Jamere was in cardiac arrest and later died at Detroit Children's Hospital of Michigan.