Detroit officer shot in head, critically injured and fighting for life

Image 1 of 2

A Detroit Police Officer who has been on the force for two years is fighting for his life almost 24 hours after he was shot in the head while responding to a domestic violence call.

Glenn Doss was rushed to Detroit Receiving Hospital Wednesday night around 10:40 p.m. for a report of a couple arguing. The suspect, who police say had nine guns registered to him, then barricaded himself inside the home. Outside, investigators later counted more than 30 bullet casings.

Doss, a 25-year-old two-year veteran of the Detroit police force, underwent immediate surgery Wednesday night. We learned that he underwent another operation Thursday afternoon and is still in critical condition.

The man who police say pulled the trigger snapped, his wife said. He's being identified as 43-year-old DeCharlos Brooks by his wife, Natalie Scott. She said they were at her home on the city's east side with her three kids when Brooks had what she calls a psychotic breakdown.

"He snapped, he wasn't himself, he wasn't talking like himself. he didn't look like himself."

She said he assaulted her then called the cops on himself. When police arrived, she went to warn them.

"I came out to warn them that he was having a mental break down and they pulled me to the side," she said. 

The 43 year old started shooting and hit Doss in the head. He was rushed to Detroit Receiving Hospital where he is still in critical condition with severe head trauma.

Doss is a two-year veteran of the Detroit police force and has a 9-month-old son. His father has been a Detroit police officer for 19 years and was off duty at the time of the shooting.

30 bullet casings found where DPD officer was shot

"It's too early to know yet. I understand he was breathing on his own before this last procedure to relieve some of the pressure on the brain," Detroit mayor Mike Duggan said. "This is a deeply religious family and they all asked - they know here at Detroit Receiving Hospital they've got the best trauma doctors in the world - they've asked that everyone in the city of Detroit and the surrounding area would keep Officer Doss in their thoughts and prayers."

Brooks barricaded himself inside the home and even claimed he wanted death by cop. That's when police used tear gas and he eventually was arrested.

"When we deployed the chemical agent, the suspect did run out of the location and attempt to escape but our officers, with a tight perimeter set, were able to arrest him and bring this situation to a close," Detroit Deputy Chief Elvin Barren said.

Brooks' wife says he suffers from mental illness and was off his medication. She's blaming that for the tragedy. 

Detroit police officer critically wounded; suspect in custody

"He's not the type of person. I know he shot a cop but that's not him," she said.

Brooks was arrested in 1998 for assault with a dangerous weapon but the charge was later dismissed.

FOX 2 is monitoring Doss' condition and we'll update with information as we get it.