Detroit police investigating sex assault of 12-year-old boy during home invasion

Police are looking for three suspects who broke into a home overnight and sexually assaulted a 12-year-old boy. 

Detroit police say the 12-year-old heard a knock around 3:45 a.m. Friday and answered the door, and a man barged inside. Police say the boy was then sexually assaulted. 

Police say it all started at about 3:45 a.m. Friday at a home on Beaconsfield near Outer Drive on the city's east side.

The man then went to the back door and let in two other men, who then went around the house looking for stuff to take and asking where the money was. Police weren't sure if anything was stolen. 

Two other victims were inside the house, a 32-year-old woman and a 65-year-old man and were able to call 911. The suspects eventually ran off. One fired off a gun but no one was hit. They got into a black SUV and left. 

This happened at a home in the 5000 block of Beaconsfield, which is near Alter Road and Outer Drive. 

"My grandson and I were the only ones up being night owls and watching a movie Jurassic Park," said the grandmother of the victim.

Minutes later her 12-year-old grandson was being held at gunpoint.

"The gunman had his arm around his neck and the pistol to his temple," she said.

The young man and his grandmother had been downstairs and his mother and 1-year-old brother was upstairs sleeping.

The 12-year-old's father says he had been at work and after the movie, his son went to make sure all of the doors were locked - but noticed the front porch light was on, triggered by motion.
"We thought maybe my mother was sitting on the porch and he went to check the front door," said the father of the 12-year-old.

Instead it was a man in a black hoodie with a white cloth covering his face. He forced himself into the home and holding the 12-year-old at gun point then sexually assaulting him then let two other men into the home.
"He asked if I had a cell phone or any money," the grandmother said.

As he held a gun to the young man's head the grandmother says the two men began rummaging through the home but her grandson remained calm.
"He kept telling me to be still grandma, I kept asking can I please have my grandson and he told me no," she said.

The gunman telling them both - if they didn't move, they wouldn't get hurt. Two of the men made their way upstairs. but that boy's mother was one step ahead of them.

"They were trying to scare my wife," the boy's father said. "But most people know when a mother is trying to protect her children, they don't think of themselves."

"She said the police are on the way, you're going to get out of my house," the grandmother said.

The 12-year-old's mother chased all three men out of the house.

"And then I heard a shot," the grandmother said.

But that bullet, thankfully, only hit the floor. The men got away in what's described as a black, boxy SUV. The three men, this family says, didn't look much older than 19.

But now that 12-year-old boy is this family's hero.

" He dealt with it very courageously," his father said. "He wanted to make sure my wife and younger son were not in any position to be in any danger."