Detroit police officer pulls gun after rave gets unruly

Image 1 of 3

Thousands pack a Detroit warehouse ready to rave at a massive concert.

But police crashed the party citing a lack of permits and an officer was forced to pull his gun.

The music was pumping to DJ Virtual Riot and the crowds massive at Meltdown 6 - a bi-annual rave in Detroit. This time it was held at the Russell Street Industrial Center.

But as soon as witness Michael Vechello got into the warehouse rave, Detroit police were getting ready to shut it down.

"There were cop cars, ambulances everywhere," he said.

Detroit police Sgt. Michael Woody tells us it started when officers heard the loud music and saw the parking lot filled with cars at the industrial center.

They checked the permits and discovered organizers did not have the proper liquor licenses and permits for the event, which had multiple bars. This prompted the two officers to put an end to the party.

But the crowd of nearly 3,000 wasn't giving up without a fight. They became so unruly, yelling and chanting at police and even threw things at officers.

On video you can then see one of the two DPD officers pull a gun from his holster. Police say he never pointed it at anyone but fearing for his safety - he had the weapon in a ready position. Then you can see he quickly returned the gun to his holster.

No one was arrested, cited or injured.

The industrial center hosts several parties, sporting events, space for musicians and artists like Vechello, who believes this has become a bit of a trend.

"There are a lot of places getting shut down left and right because there's a lot of money for downtown businesses and bars that want the money funneled into their businesses," he said. "They don't want people to spend money elsewhere so they are doing everything they can, whether it is a fire code thing or a licensing issue."

Woody says that is completely false, adding if the party had the proper permits it would have been allowed to continue. Both the owner of the building and the organizer of the event did not return FOX 2's calls.