Girl, 7, saves grandmother's life with 911 call
In Pontiac, a 7-year-old girl is a hero after making a 911 call that saved her grandmother's life. Her grandma was unconscious when she picked up the phone and dialed 911, and then she was able to stay calm and poised during the call.
Operator: "911 what's your address of your emergency?"
"My grandmother is knocked out on the floor in the bathroom," the girl said.
Dispatcher: "I'm going to have a few questions for you to help your grandma, okay?"
"Okay," the girl said.
On University Drive in Pontiac it was a real emergency for anyone especially for a little girl looking at her unresponsive grandmother. The Oakland County Dispatcher obtains critical information from the granddaughter while, at the same time, the dispatcher is sending an ambulance.
"Just really great composure for a young child to be in that situation," said Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard. "To have grandma go down and no idea what was going on. Very calm, cool and collected emergency dispatch activity there. We're very proud of our dispatcher as well."
Star EMS Ambulances were dispatched with both EMTs and paramedics.
"They accessed the patient, assisted with the breathing of the patient," said Bill Grubb, CEO, and Two Star EMS. "And put in an airway we call a nasopharyngeal airway. She accepted that and the paramedics began their treatment with Narcan."
The Narcan brought grandma around and she regained consciousness after an accidental overdose of a prescription medication.
"The Narcan is really a miracle drug because it really doesn't have any side effects," Grubb said.
With grandma revived, the Narcan worked on this overdose as another lifesaving rescue since Oakland County began carrying Narcan in January. Oakland County has had 15 Narcan saves this year.
"It is like throwing a on a light switch at just the right moment before they pass," Bouchard said. "It gives them a second chance at life. We're one of the agencies that pioneered the program and now we're using it extensively."
Grubb said one of the paramedics who responded was her first shift.