Michigan teens charged in deadly rock-throwing take plea deal

A court hearing held Monday for five teenagers charged with murder for the death of a man on I-75 in Genesee County resulted in plea deals, avoiding trial.

Kyler Anger, 17, Mark Sekelsky, 16, Mikadyn Payne, 16, Trevor Gray, 15, and Alexander Miller, 15, were all charged with second-degree in the death of 32-year-old Kenneth White. 

All five were charged as adults with second-degree murder and ten other charges. 

During Monday's hearing, all defendants but Anger took plea deals in the case and the charges were changed from second-degree murder to manslaughter. All other ten charges were dropped.

Anger did not have an attorney in court and did not accept the plea. 

After the hearing on Monday, Kenneth's mother said she was devastated.

"I miss him every day. What's going on in there I can't say much because it's still ongoing. One day I'll come to peace with it. one day I will forgive the children," she said. "As long as they get some time out of it, I can deal with (the plea deal). As long as they're serving their time."

She also urged everyone to 'think before they do something.

"Just stop and think before you act."

The five teens were accused of dropping rocks from an overpass near Flint last fall. Authorities said White was riding in a van coming home from work when authorities said a 6-pound rock came crashing through the windshield, killing him. Authorities say the rock was dropped from an overpass at the hands of those five teenagers.

White suffered fractures to his skull and face. His cause of death was ruled blunt force trauma to his head and chest. 

Prosecutors say Anger of Clio is accused of throwing the 6 lb. rock that killed White, which hit the windshield, then his face and ricocheted into his chest.

Prosecutors say several other drivers reported rocks hitting their cars on the highway but no one else was hurt.

The Genesee County Sheriff's Office says a total of 20 rocks were found, including one that weighed about 20 lbs. At least four damaged vehicles were on the shoulder.

Had the five been convicted of second-degree murder, they could have been sentenced to life in prison.