Motorcycle driver who survived hit and run wants justice

Image 1 of 3

Chris Haworth was hospitalized for a week after he was hit and run.

A family is demanding an answer after their father was hit riding his motorcycle.

The driver fled, leaving Chris Haworth to suffer while the family is hoping anyone with information about the August 6th crash can help.

"I'm just grateful that he's alive," said Ramona Rodriguez. "He could have been killed."

Looking over at his mother and his daughter, Haworth, 44, of Taylor, says every day since the accident, he's felt lucky to be alive.

"It makes you realize how precious life really is," he said.

Haworth says that Thursday just after midnight he was riding his motorcycle on Inkster near Beverly Street when he looked in his rearview mirror and noticed a car approaching way too fast.

"I (was thinking) I can't believe I just got hit," he said.

He was thrown from his bike and Haworth says the driver was going nearly 70 miles per hour and barely hit their brakes before driving off. As he was lying in the road, Haworth says the car appeared to be a dark-colored Dodge Magnum. He then blacked out as witnesses ran to help.

"He called me and said 'Mom, he just left me,'" Rodriguez recalled.

Spending a week in the hospital with broken ribs and a broken foot, Haworth says his body is bruised from the inside out. He has missed four weeks of work at Harley-Davidson.

So far, doctors tell Haworth's helmet saved his life.

"At this point I don't want to get back on my bike," he said. "I thought those words would never come out of my mouth."

Haworth says after posting what happened on social media, neighbors told him they saw a man repairing the front end of a dark Magnum around 2 a.m. that day a block away and took a picture of the license plate.

Haworth says he's called Taylor police and has received no answer, concerned that the driver is still out there.

Taylor Police Chief Mary Sclabassi said the department will be sure to follow up on that new information.

Hayworth reminds everyone to ride and drive safely as he thinks about those who have not been so lucky.

He also reminds that driver that he's still here.

"I'm alive," Hayworth said. "This is not going to go away. I'm going to get an answer why you left me lying there."

Anyone with information call Taylor police at (734) 374-1444.

There is a fundraiser to help Haworth with his medical bills at the Local 26M building, 12305 Beech Daly, from 6 to 11 p.m. Sept. 18.