Still no justice for murdered mother, promising law student in 2013

More than five years later, a killer has not been brought to justice after a promising law student, who was also a mother of three, was gunned down. 

Tiane Brown was about to finish up school at Wayne State University and she was just hired at a law firm in Detroit, only to be killed, leaving her children without the parent they depended on. Brown's mother is desperate to get justice for her daughter.

"Sometimes I get angry. Sometimes I get a little frustrated. Sometimes I cry. It's still hard. I miss her. It's something that unnatural to bury a child," says Sheryl Jones. 

Her 33-year-old daughter went missing on October 29, 2013. Tiane was last seen taking an online test at WSU, where she had been a student since 2010. The video camera at the library was broken.

Therefore, it's unclear if Brown spoke with anyone before leaving. A day later, her body was found near the old Packard Plant.

Brown was strapped in the seat in her SUV. She had been shot in the head, leading police to believe this tragedy was not a random killing.

"It's really hard because I miss my daughter, and then there are times I wonder where would she be right now. Before it happened, we talked about in five years she wanted to buy a house. Other things she wanted to do," Jones says. "She would have been 40 this year, and I think about that too, and she just got the job she wanted at a law firm."

Throughout the years Jones has joined Crime Stoppers with getting the word out about a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest, hoping this dollar amount will get someone to speak up and give police a new lead or piece of evidence in the case.

"For someone to hurt us like this, they didn't only hurt her, they hurt me. They hurt my sisters. They hurt her children. They will have that scar the rest of their life."

Since 2013 police have released sketches of persons of interests and actually arrested two men in possession of Brown's cell phone. Although they faced several charges, investigators don't believe they were involved with Brown's death.

"They're basically telling me who everything points to. Some of the evidence is where she went that night because her cell phone was still on. So they know exactly where she went," Jones says. "They can't share everything with me is the answer I keep getting, and I understand that. It's just taking too long."

And with waiting for closure, Jones continues to hope that someone will give police that final piece of evidence need to close this case.

If you have any information call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP. You will remain anonymous.