Suspect called 911 with grandmother after Taylor stabbing, police say

Family and friends are distraught after their loved one was stabbed overnight in Taylor. Police have a person in custody for the stabbing but are still investigating the circumstances.

The victim has been identified as 22-year-old Alex Gardner. We're told he recently enrolled in college and had just gotten a new job.

"Nice neighborhood; there's never any problems," says Brian. "We got kids that play around here outside all the time. This is totally, totally unexpected."

The 8000 block of Clippert Street, which is near Mortenview Drive and Wick Road, was anything but quiet around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday when police responded to the report of a stabbing in the street. The 23-year-old suspect, who police now have in custody, made the call to authorities confessing to the crime.

22-year-old dies after stabbing in street in Taylor

"He actually picked up the phone and called us. There was a hang up on the 911 line. We called back and both the subject who we have in custody and his grandma answered the phone and advised us of the situation," says John Blair, the acting police chief in Taylor.

Police are trying to figure out what caused the fight that ended Gardner's life. At this point, we know a group of friends were apparently hanging out and were drinking when things took a deadly turn.
Police say the weapon was a hunting knife with a 7-inch fixed blade.

"I just saw a bunch of flashing lights and they were trying to revive someone in the ambulance when I came outside," says neighbor Beth Jeffrey. "My dog didn't even bark, so, whatever happened wasn't even loud."

While police spent hours collecting evidence and talking to those who heard and saw the early morning commotion, family and friends of Gardner and the suspect are beyond shocked and consumed with sadness.

The stepgrandfather of the suspect, who asked that we not show his face, is just trying to make sense of it all like everyone else.

"I don't know what could've happened or what's going to happen with him. It's just a shame that these things go on today," he told us.

The suspect is expected to be arraigned sometime on Wednesday. 

The family set up a GoFundMe to raise money for funeral expenses. CLICK HERE TO DONATE