TAYLOR, Mich. (WJBK) - A boarded up vacant house on in Taylor was the scene of a tragic death of a baby boy from a drug overdose.
Ten-month-old Du'wan Lanhan died inside the home on Wilkie Street last October.
Now, 8 months later, the great-grandparents, 65-year-old Quentin May and his wife Rebecca May, have been charged with manslaughter and child abuse.
Police say the 10-month old child somehow ingested a fatal dose of the great grandparents’ prescription drugs.
"That baby was so happy," said a neighbor. "He would stand at the door and jump up and down if he saw you."
Due to circumstances surrounding the child's death, a neighbor was not comfortable speaking on camera but she remembers that day when she tried to save the infant's life.
"The 911 operator told me put him flat on the floor. tilt his head back, start compressions," she said. "I don't think any of it was intentional. It was neglectful."
Neighbors FOX 2 spoke with, described a less than ideal living situation inside the house where the 10-month-old died. The two charged in the death were evicted several months ago and had belongings put in the trash just last week.
It's alleged the couple failed to store or maintain their medications in a safe manner leading to the child getting their hands on the drugs.
They are scheduled to appear in court on Thursday morning.