You don't need to join a gym or buy expensive exercise equipment to reap the benefits of exercise. All you need to do is go for a walk. Henry Ford Cardiologist, Dr. Cristina Tita shares 5 benefits of walking.
1. Helps control/ improve chronic conditions
Heart disease: stabilizes blockages/ prevents new blockages from forming, opens natural bypasses; in heart failure makes the body more "fuel efficient.
Diabetes: improves sugar control by decreasing insulin resistance
COPD: more efficient gas exchange/ body more efficient in using oxygen
2. Boosts immune system: which helps fight infections AND cancer.
3. Helps with weight loss/weight management: increases metabolism, decreases cravings for sugary snacks, and decreases the effects of obesity-promoting genes.
4. Helps prevent arthritis/reduces arthritis related pain: increases lubrication in the joints/ as well as strengthens the muscle that support them.
5. Decreases anxiety/depression (as well as things that help with anxiety and depression, such as improving sleep quality).
Henry Ford Health System and Fox 2 are among the proud sponsors of the 2018 American Heart & Stroke Association Heart Walk
Saturday, May 12
Wayne State University
5k starts at 9 / walk starts at 10 am.