(WJBK) - When it gets cold like this with below zero temperatures, remember there are options to avoid the frigid weather.
Detroit has several warming stations for those looking to get out the cold and stay safe.
Being outside for just a short time can result in hypothermia, and frost bite.
Click here for Detroit warming centers.
Click here for Macomb County warming centers.
Other tips for keeping safe in cold weather include:
- Keep space heaters and candles at least 3 feet away from flammable materials such as curtains, furniture and clothing – as it can catch fire fast.
- Do not use stoves or generators as a source of heat. They may cause fire or carbon monoxide poisoning
- Check the carbon monoxide detector and make sure it’s working.
- Do not leave your car running in a closed space such as a garage.
- Dress appropriately for the winter while standing, waiting for bus. It may look a little silly, but moving your body may generate some heat.