WARREN, Mich. (WJBK) - A Warren middle school boy is accused of making a hit list and is suspended from school.
Police say it was a kill list discovered Tuesday morning at Carter Middle School. It didn't take long for investigators to identify the 12-year-old, who we're told had a history of aggressive behavior.
FOX 2: "As a parent are you frightened to send your child to school?"
"Yes I am," said Renee Theisen. "And I am in the school all day myself because I am a teacher. It's frightening at all levels."
The piece of paper listed names of “bad students and teachers." Warren Police Commissioner Bill Dwyer says it was a responsible student who came forward and alerted administrators.
After multiple interviews police were able to identify the student as a seventh grader, who had been in trouble at the school in the past for assaulting others with scissors.
"It is devastating for the 12-year-old, the family, the school, the other students that are frightened," Theisen said.
The school district suspended the student and Warren police took the boy into custody.
Commissioner Dwyer says the child could be facing a felony charge of making a terrorist threat which could send him to prison for up to 20 years.
Other parents like Jamie Bathurst, whose child attends a Warren Elementary school is now considering homeschooling.
"I never thought in a million years my child would be coming home in kindergartner come home from school and say they are practicing if a gunman comes into the school," she said. "That terrifies me that my child has to practice that. As a teacher, teaching my children to grab a book and put in front of them if there is a gunman, is also terrifying."
We're told the threats on the "kill list" had only first names and there were nonspecific - threats but police did not take any chances. Concerned parents say something needs to change inside and outside schools, which includes parents teaching their children about the consequences of their actions.
"My thing is they should just put metal detectors in schools and be done with it," said Natalie Shankin. "I know people don't want that but it would cut down on this drama."
"The social media and technology I think is too much," Theisen said. "That's where it needs to start. Something needs to be done to enlighten them when it's out there you can't take it back."