2 injured in hydrogen tank explosion at Henry Ford Hospital parking deck

There is not much left of a pickup truck after a hydrogen tank in the back of it exploded at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.

It happened in the underground parking garage a little after 6 p.m. Friday evening, injuring a 72-year-old woman and a 53-year-old man.

"When you look at the way the explosion happened, everything it’s amazing that more people were not hurt or killed and while these people were seriously injured, that the injuries were non-fatal," said Deputy Fire Commissioner Dave Fornell.

Police say the explosion was so powerful it blew out windows in an elevator about 100 feet away. It was so powerful that even patients, staffers, and visitors inside the hospital noticed.

"We felt it heard it and all of our patients were even like, ‘What was that?'" said Nurse Stephiniea Smith.

The Detroit Fire Department believes a leak in the hydrogen tank caused the explosion. Investigators say the 53-year-old man who was injured planned to use it to launch a weather balloon.

The explosion damaged at least three other cars in the parking garage.

Arson investigators, HAZMAT, and the Detroit Police Bomb Squad were called out to the hospital — locking down the scene and consequently the garage.

"My car is still trapped in the parking garage, we don’t know if it's damaged," Smith said. "There’s a lot of visitors in there and they’re not giving a lot of updates. I know they don’t know, but as of right now we’re just kind of playing the waiting game."

Authorities believe the explosion was accidental - and as bad as this was, it could’ve been much worse.

"I pray for the occupants of the vehicle, I hope that it turns out okay for them," said Capt. Aric Tosqui, Detroit police. "It’s a crazy, unfortunate incident that occurred."

Henry Ford Health System released a statement:

"The underground parking garage at Henry Ford Hospital is temporarily closed after a pickup truck exploded earlier this evening. Two people were injured and are being treated in the Emergency Department. One is listed in good condition and the other is listed in temporary serious condition. They were at the hospital visiting a family member. The cause is under investigation by Detroit police and fire. The parking garage does not appear to have sustained any structural damage."

Stay with FOX 2 for more information on this developing story.

Photo: FOX 2 Photog Brian Puninske.

Photo: FOX 2 Photog Brian Puninske.