Consumers confirm gas leak in Pontiac caused house explosion

Image 1 of 3

A home in Pontiac was demolished after a gas leak that lead to an explosion.

This has to be one of the worst house explosions, it's leveled. A 60-yesr-old man was found in the street thanking God he was alive.

“It's like something out of a doggone TV, something you see on television,” Greg Dixon said, neighbor and friend of victim. 

“We just heard a big boom and we all looked outside and it was up in flames,” Dixon said.

Greg Dixon's neighbor and friend Ralph was inside the house when it exploded Saturday night.

“The impact blew him out the house and he landed up in the street so my son got him,” he said.

 The 60-year-old man was in the middle of the street calling out for help.

“He was in the middle of the street right there screaming for help,” Demetrius Dixon said. 

The 60 year old lived here off Irwin Avenue in Pontiac for decades Demetirus Dixon says he found him surrounded by wreckage on the ground praying.

 “It is a blessing from God, God pulled him up out of that,” Greg said.

A spokesperson with Consumers Energy tells FOX 2 the explosion was caused by a gas leak they were able to locate the source and repair it.

“How could somebody survive something like that,” Greg said. 

Ralph is in the hospital recovering, looking at wreckage, you wouldn't believe it but he'll be okay.
“He's ok, he's living it's going to be a struggle you know,” Dixon said. 

Consumers Energy did go door to door informing people of what happened Saturday and let them know how to prevent something like that from happening.