DETROIT (FOX 2) - The Detroit incinerator may be permanently closed, but that's not stopping lawmakers from legislating more permanence into the conversation.
"Idling the incinerator is not enough, we need a permanent ban," said Rev. David Bullock, an activist. "Cities over 400,000 residents should not have to suffer from toxic air."
Located near the interchange of I-75 and I-94, the Detroit incinerator garnered a lot of negative news coverage due to reports of foul-smelling fumes and sounds coming from the structure. However, last week it closed - much to the joy of area residents.
It's not enough for the Detroit Renewable Power Incinerator to close however. During a press conference on Monday, several lawmakers and activists announced their intention to make sure another incinerator would never open in Detroit again.
"They've endured 33 years of toxic fumes and don't believe this incinerator will remain permanently shut down" said Rep. Isaac Robinson (D-Detroit).
Robinson has made banning municipal incineration a top priority since taking office. However, he wasn't the only Detroit representative that made their voice heard April 1.
"We're going to make that our community is safe, is secure, that people can breathe the air and that they can drink the water and we're not going to stop until that happens." said State Rep. Karen Whitsett of District 9.
It may seem redundant to pass legislation for something that's already closed. However, residents are concerned that a future Detroit mayor would work to reopen the incinerator. Other cities are also dealing with a similar problem.