Tomato Basil soup from the Lafayette Market
Tomato Basil Soup
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
· 1 cup carrots, chopped
· 1 cup celery , chopped
· 1 can ground peeled tomatoes
· 28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
· 1 cup heavy cream
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
· 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil, thinly sliced
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat.
Add the onions, carrots, celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add both the tomatoes and 1 cup heavy cream. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until soup is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the basil.
Place the pot of soup directly in sink, and using a stick blender, blend until smooth. Serve immediately.