8 people hospitalized, 3 in critical condition after apartment fire in Detroit

An apartment fire in Detroit Sunday night left several residents spooked and at least eight hospitalized after a blaze isolated to one unit pushed smoke throughout the building.

Seven people were transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation, while another man had burns on over 90% of his body.

It could have been a much worse night for everyone involved if Lamont Shirley hadn't been visiting his mom around 5 p.m.

"The first thing I thought was to save everybody, to save as many people as I can and just get them out the building," said Shirley.

Shirley was visiting his mother at the time, who lived on the 7th floor of the Parkview Apartments on Shane, north of Lafayette. When smoke from one unit set off fire alarms around the complex, Shirley sprung into action.

"I checked the apartments, found out which apartment was on fire and pulled the man out," said Shirley.

Police said the 67-year-old man had 2nd and 3rd-degree burns on most of his body. Shirley said the man was a good guy, like "everybody's uncle."

It's not clear what started the fire, but it caused smoke damage in several apartment units. 

"I don't know if it was caused by grease or whatever, there was so much confusion going on," said Katherin Richardson. 

At least three of the people taken to the hospital were in critical condition, at last check.

"If it weren't for this young man, I don't think I would be standing here and I thank God for him. He's - I thank God for him," said Richardson.