Stabbing victim testifies about home invasion that killed 2, injured 3

Image 1 of 2

Jesse Spurlock, a 34-year-old man from Monroe, is one of two suspects accused of the deadly home invasion.

Prosecutors presented chilling details in the case of a deadly June 13 home invasion in Washtenaw County.

Two people were killed in the break-in, Timber Brown, 12, and his step-brother Jonathan Brown, 25. Three others were injured.

A preliminary hearing was held for one of the two charged, Jesse Spurlock, a 34-year-old from Monroe.  He is charged with murder while also headed to trial was Joseph Hall of Dundee.    

Spurlock sat in court and listened as one of the victims described the attack. 
Homeowner Jeffrey Porter said he was sleeping when he woke to the sound of an intruder in his York Township home on Crane Road.

"There was a person in a yellow shirt who started charging at me," Porter said. "We started having an altercation right there in the middle of the house. And next thing I know, I felt a warm sensation coming down my left side."
Porter said initially he didn't know the extent of his injuries but had been cut with a sharp knife-like instrument.  What he could not have known was a family he invited to stay with him that night was also attacked.

 The medical examiner said Jonathan was stabbed and chopped on the head and neck. 
Vicki Moore, 31, was stabbed and had a collapsed lung. She survived but her son Timber was stabbed and killed. And Timber's step brother Jonathan, was also killed.

Moore drove her family from Indian River in northern Michigan  to camp out at Michigan International Speedway to see the June NASCAR race. But after heavy rain, Porter agreed to let the family stay in his home the night before the race. 

"I had to start fighting for my life," Porter said.

Porter ran outside and made a cell phone call to 911 announcing his house was under attack. That call was played in court. 

He said he had been asleep and did not have his glasses on so he could not see who had been attacking him.

A family spokesperson said that the family believes it was an attempt to steal money.

The other man charged, Hall, has apologized in court and said that "he just snapped."

The family said through a spokesperson that his apology is meaningless.