Carbon monoxide kills maintenance worker at Ann Arbor motel

Firefighters ventilate Victory Inn (Photo: Ann Arbor Fire Department)

A maintenance worker at an Ann Arbor motel died from carbon monoxide poisoning Monday.

According to the city's fire department, the worker was found dead in the broiler room of Victory Inn at 3750 Washtenaw Ave. at 12:38 p.m. Carbon monoxide levels in the room were higher than 500 parts per million (ppm). Levels above 70 ppm can cause health symptoms, while sustained levels can cause death.

Read Next: Man, 1-year-old found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning inside garage

DTE shut off gas to the boiler while firefighters conducted air monitoring and ventilated the building.

The building was marked as unsafe until repairs are made. Management is working to relocate guests.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are:

  • headaches
  • nausea, dizziness, fainting
  • hard to breathe
  • chest pain
  • confusion
  • vomiting
  • loss of body control