Latest updates from Michigan State University Police on Monday's shooting that killed 3, hurt 5

Michigan State University Police were joined by Michigan State Police, East Lansing Police, Lansing Police, and the FBI to release more details about the shooting on campus earlier this week where it was revealed that the surviving victims all remain in critical in condition and the shooter's motive is still not determined.

University interim president Teresa Woodruff opened the update by saying the release of the suspect's photo late Monday night led to a tip and ultimate confrontation with the shooter. She then proceeded to discuss the future of the two buildings involved and said Berkey Hall will remain closed through the semester. The second shooting scene, the MSU Union, is still being evaluated to determine when it will open. 

RELATED: What we know about Anthony McRae's note, large amount of ammo

University offices are open, but classes remain suspended through Sunday.

"We know as a campus that we have hard work ahead of us. Moving forward won't be easy," said MSU's interim president Teresa Woodruff while providing an update. "None of us have all the answers but we do have each other."

Read: MSU victims hospitalized after shooting showing signs of improvement

MSU Shooting victim's conditions

There is positive news for some of the five students were who were critically hurt. Two of the students were from China and, according to the Chinese Consulate General in Chicago, both underwent surgery and appear to be improving. Family members of both students were contacted.

The superintendent of Hartland Consolidated Schools has also confirmed that a 2020 graduate of the district was critically wounded in the shooting. Their status is unknown.

A fourth victim who was identified as Guadalupe Huapilla-Perez, a hospitality and business major from south Florida. Her condition is said to be improving, according to the family's gofundme, but a full recovery is expected to take months of care and rehabilitation.

MSU shooter had two guns

FOX 2 has also learned that the MSU shooter was heavily armed with two guns and several magazines on Monday.

Police said McRae was carrying one pistol and had a second handgun in his backpack. Multiple loaded magazines were also in his bag.

McRae shot and killed three people and injured five others on MSU's campus. He first went into Berkey Hall and shot several people, prompting calls to police that started at 8:18 p.m. McRae then moved to the nearby MSU Union, where he shot more people.

Related: Everything we've learned about the 8 MSU students shot

He then fled and led police on a manhunt that lasted hours while students sheltered in place on campus.

A tip led Michigan State Police troopers and Lansing Police four miles away off campus. When they spotted McRae they called out to him. As they were approaching him, he shot and killed himself.

MSU's shooter motivation

Investigators are still working to determine the motive for the shooting. McRae, who was 43, had no affiliation with the school, and it isn't clear why he went there Monday.

McRae did have a criminal history after he was caught carrying a gun without a concealed pistol license in 2019. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle and spent 18 months on probation. He was discharged from probation in May 2021.

Read: MSP Lt. Shaw argues existing laws could have prevented Michigan State shooting

A neighbor told FOX 2 police were called on McRae because he would shoot guns out of the backdoor of his house and into the backyard. It isn't clear if this was during or after this probation sentence.